Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Why Korea?

Ah, Korea! The Land of the Morning Calm, a tiny peninsula caught between the super giant China and the delicate cherry blossom of the sea, Japan. Korea, the mysterious country foreigners either hate or love, where the breezes are scented with garlic, dried fish, and spicy whiffs of kimchi.

Due to its close proximity to the more dominate China and Japan, Korea gets overlooked. Let's face it, if it hadn't been for the Korean War most foreigners wouldn't be able to find Korea on a map (Well, actually, most Americans still can't). It's really a shame because Korea has a lot to offer those interested in culture, exotic food (it's a chili head's heaven), learning a unique language, or just to have an eye opening world experience, Korea is a great place.

So how did I come to my decision to live in Korea? Why not China, or Japan, the even more desirable destination among those of my generation obsessed with Anime? Simple answer: I didn't know a damn thing about Korea. I wanted a country that I had no impression of, and Korea was it.

And I love it here! It didn't take me long to fall in love with the country. Even though you'll hear me point out some of Korea's less attractive features and views, please don't let that deter you from interest in the country. I really do love the people and culture, and can even handle the Confusian hiearchy system despite being the lowest on the totem pole.

Korea is the ultimate underdog country, and the loyality of Koreans to their country is incredibly strong. Any little victory by a Korean on the international stage is a source of intense national pride. A good example is J.S. Park, the Korean striker for Manchester United. Not only will you see his face everywhere around Korea but you'll also see men and women sporting Manchester United apparel and everyone's a fan. Being a Bayern Munich fan myself, I love to engage in football related debates with my male students.

Korea is a country that likes to get things done quick, fast, and in a hurry. The national motto should be: "Whatever you're working on now was due yesterday at 6am. Hurry the fuck up!"  You can see it on the streets among the people as everyone runs to catch the metro, the bus, or get a taxi. The words "빨리, 발리!" (hurry, hurry!!) will be heard several times a day from people of all ages. The tough old women called "아줌마" (ah-jum-ma) will push and elbow you out of the way with such force as to make you stumble back just so they can get the last seat on the bus, and then wonder why you're taking so long to get on the bus as you recover from shock and the bruise on your ribs. Don't you know that you're making everyone else late? 빨리, 빨리!!!

The "hurry hurry" mentality, plus the small size of the country supporting a large population, make standing in line physicially and mentally uncomfortable. How many times have my breasts been unwittingly pressed against the back of the middle aged man in front of me, who glances back to see what's sticking him and then smiles pervertly as he leans back a little for a better feel. Or having an Ahjumma looking over my shoulder in an obvious manner to see what the strange foreigner has in her basket. At Dunkin Donuts there is aways a tray jabbing your back.

But I will say this for Korea, you never wait in line long. Thank you, 빨리, 빨리!

In my time here I've adopted new behaviors and tastes. Kimchi is a favorite food and cravings for rice have made it one of my staples. I remember to fold my arms in front of my chest while standing in line. And I know how to step out of the Ahjumma's way while getting on the bus.

Having an open mind makes what was once an annoyance a funny anecdote at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment